Bethel Cemetery is a large cemetery located
in the southern end of the county. This cemetery contains approximately
300 graves and is in good condition. Burials probably started
in the 1880's. The earliest tombstone is that of W.E. Mullinax
who was born Nov. 26, 1884 and died Jan 28, 1887.
Cannon Cemetery is a lost family cemetery of
the Cannon family. It is on land belonging to Mr. Chucky Frazier
about two miles south of Hagansport. No sign of this cemetery
remains and it was probably abandoned about 1900.
Cherry Cemetery also called Keener is a lost cemetery
of the Cherry and Keener families. It is located about one mile
northwest of the Daphne Methodist Church. Until 1970 from five
to ten marble tombstones and about ten wooden posts marked the graves
of members of these related families. Unfortunately, the land
has been bulldozed to clear underbrush and only three ancient cedars
and some clumps of daffodils remain as signs of this cemetery.
Clearwater Cemetery is a cemetery of approximately
250 graves located about five miles northeast of Winnsboro. This
cemetery is surrounded by a chain link fence and is in excellent condition.
Several tombstones in this cemetery date from the 1870's and one dates
to the 1860's. Arthur W. Bradley's monument shows the date of
his death as July 19, 1866.
Colliers Chapel Cemetery is an old, poorly kept cemetery
located about 1 mile west of highway 37, midway between Hagansport and
White Oak Creek. About 80 graves are recognizable today.
Burials probably started in the 1870's although the earliest marked
graves date only from the 1890's.
Cypress Cemetery is a large well-kept cemetery of at least
500 graves located beside the Cypress Baptist Church in the southern
end of the county. The Cemetery was probably started in the early
1850's. The earliest marked gravesite is that of Mary G. Sparks
who was born Feb 4, 1818 and died May 15, 1856.
Denton Cemetery is the largest and only remaining Negro
Cemetery in Franklin County and is located behind the Denton Baptist
Church about two miles south of Mt.VernonŪs business district but within
the city limits. There are probably slightly over 200 graves in
this large cemetery. Only one tombstone was found which dated
in the years before 1900 and that was the tombstone of A.D. Blackburn
who died July 17, 1890.
Fairview Cemetery is a well kept cemetery located
in the northwestern corner of Franklin County. It contains around
300 graves. Burials probably started in the 1870's. One of the
earliest marked graves is that of Wilson B. Westerman who was born in
1851 and died Dec.3, 1881.
Family Cemetery at I-30 Rest Area A chain
link fence encloses this lost family cemetery on the east side of the
south rest area on Interstate Highway 30 about three miles west of Mt.
Vernon. No information was found concerning the people who are
buried in this small cemetery.
Friendship Cemetery is a large well kept cemetery
of some 400 graves. The cemetery was behind the old Friendship
Church which was torn down in 1967. The church and cemetery were once
the center of the Friendship Community. The cemetery was quite
possibly started by the Garmack family who lost two small sons within
three days in February 1876. These Garmack children, Charles and
Joseph, have the oldest dated tombstones in the cemetery.
Fuquay Cemetery is a family cemetery containing approximately
100 graves and is still in use today by members of the Fuquay
family. The cemetery is located northeast of Hopewell and is in
excellent condition. The earliest marked grave is that of Andrew
Fuquay who died Oct 13, 1876.
Glade Springs Cemetery is a cemetery of some 300 graves
located in the area of the Glade Springs Community behind the Glade
Springs Baptist Church. The cemetery is fenced and in excellent
condition. Burials may have started in the late 1860's, but the
earliest marked grave is that of Dan Dupree, born in 1870 and died in
April 1880. To see a partial transcribed list of the graves at
this cemetery, click
Goode Cemetery is a lost cemetery of the Goode family.
The site of the cemetery was the site former Franklin County Judge Neal
Duvall selected for his homestead about three miles southeast of Hagansport.
There were never tombstones in this small family cemetery and it was
probably abandoned by 1900.
Good Hope Cemetery is a well kept cemetery of about
250 graves and is located on the south side of Cypress Creek
beside the Good Hope Baptist Church. This cemetery was probably
founded around 1910 with the establishment of the Good Hope Church.
Graham Cemetery is a lost cemetery located on
top of a hill about one-half mile north of Newsom's Meat Packing Plant.
The only tombstone is to the memory of Richard Graham who was
born Sep 3, 1807 and died March 4, 1854. This cemetery is on
land belonging to F.J. Joyce. A fence protected the small cemetery
until it fell from decay sometime in the 1950's. Since the fence has
fallen, cattle have destroyed most of the traces of the 20 or more graves.
The graves were covered with row upon row of bricks.
Update: Graham Cemetery is a small family plot one-fourth mile northeast of the intersection of
CRNE 2100 and CRNE 2010 in a grove of elm, persimmon, and bois d’arc in
an open field. It is probably one of the oldest in Franklin County. The
cemetery was referred to earlier as the Ury Cemetery, the name of the
original surveyor and owner of the surrounding land. There were possibly
a few dozen graves covered by bricks that are now covered over and one
substantial marker for Richard Graham, born Sept. 3, 1807 and died March
4, 1854. The plot is west of the site of an antebellum home that
dominated the hilltop. ~Update provided by Ed Joyce, Aug. 2008
Gray Rock Cemetery is a large old cemetery in what
once was the center of the Gray Rock Community. There are at least
350 graves. This cemetery is located about one mile west of Winfield
on the south service road of Interstate 30. The earliest burial
is that of Lula Smith, daughter of J.C. and M.J. Smith who was born
Nov 9, 1871 and died Feb 15, 1872.
Hagansport Cemetery is in the Hagansport Community
and has around 250 graves. Burials probably started in the 1880's.
The people of the community had probably used the Pierces Chapel
Cemetery previous to the start of Hagansport Cemetery. The earliest
marked grave is that of Laura Terry who was born June 13, 1870 and died
Oct 13, 1876.
Hopewell Cemetery is a very poorly kept cemetery
in the Hopewell community. It contains perhaps 500 graves but
is in such poor condition it is dangerous to hazard a guess. Slaves
were buried in the back part of this cemetery and a Negro section is
reserved today. This is one of five cemeteries in Franklin County
where tombstones dating to the 1850's still stand-though no one is acting
at Hopewell to preserve these ancient markers. Emma Stokes and
Ida Joyce were both buried in this cemetery in 1857. To see a
partial transcribed list of the graves at this cemetery, click
Update: Hopewell Cemetery is located about 5 miles southeast of Mt. Vernon on SH 21,
facing the Hopewell Cumberland Presbyterian Church in the Hopewell
community. This site is on the Old Jefferson Road used by many people
coming into North Texas. The cemetery is one of the oldest in Franklin
County, with markers dating to 1854, and it is believed that as many as
500 graves may exist, even though some of the earliest were poorly
marked and have become lost. In 1982, the cemetery effort was
revitalized, and the cemetery is now well-maintained and has available
space. The families with several members buried here are the Rogers,
Laws, Rutledge, Joyce, Harvey, Taylor, Rodgers, Loveless, and Traylor. ~Update provided by Ed Jo
Hughes Cemetery is a small family cemetery located
near the old Flora Bluff community about six miles east of Mt. Vernon.
William Hughes, who was born in North Carolina in 1790 and died in 1854,
is buried in this cemetery as is his wife Eleanor Dyles Hughes.
Several of the Hughes children and possibly members of other related
families are buried in this cemetery. William Hughes is possibly
the only veteran of the War of 1812 buried in Franklin County.
He served in Pugh's Company, N.C. during 1813 and 1814. From North
Carolina Hughes moved into Tennessee where he married and then on to
Texas in 1840.
Kaye Cemetery is a small family cemetery located south of
Mt. Vernon. No tombstones or markers of any kind are left at the
site of this cemetery.
Liberty Cemetery is a well kept cemetery located at
the cite of the old camp meeting ground near the Purley Community.
The cemetery contains some 300 graves. The oldest marked grave
is that of L.M. Tittle who was born in 1836 and died in 1870.
To see a transcribed list of the graves at this cemetery, click
Mt. Vernon City Cemetery is the largest cemetery in Franklin
County with well over 2,500 graves. Located on the south
side of Highway 67 west just within the city limits of Mt.
Vernon. Oldest marked gravesite in the county is that of S.J.
Ely in this cemetery who died in 1852. Harny B. Carr also has
one of the oldest marked gravesites in the county-born June 22, 1805,
died Seot 15, 1853. The oldest marker in Titus County is dated
1843. The oldest in Lamar County is dated 1837. Considering
the movement of civilization into Texas from the North and east,
it is understandable that tombstones would make their first appearance
in Franklin County in 1852.
Macon Cemetery is in the Macon Community, located
in the southeastern edge of the County and contains around 200 graves.
Burials probably started in the late 1880ís. The first marked grave
is that of Sue Swayze who was born Sep 3, 1829 and died March
Mexican Cemetery is a lost cemetery located
about seven miles northeast of Mt.Vernon on the Slaughter Ranch.
It is in the middle of a dense thicket, and was found only after considerable
trouble by Mr. Otis H. Slaughter Jr., my uncle Mr. Charles Hughes and
myself. Only one tombstone could be found, but Mr. Hughes and
Mr. Slaughter both report that there were two other tombstones at one
time. The tombstones mark the graves of Mexican copper miners
who settled in the area in the 1870ís. Several years ago someone
dug into the graves and three sunken areas still remain in the vicinity
of the graveyard. The single remaining tombstone stands about
five feet high and is about two feet wide and four inches thick.
The letters ALM are inscribed on thetombstone.
Midway Cemetery is located northeast of Mt.
Vernon across White Oak Creek. It is a well kept cemetery behind
the Midway Church. It was probably started around 1900 since no
tomstone was found dating before 1900.
Murphree Cemetery is a small family cemetery of about
25 graves located about two miles east of the Lake Chapel House of Prayer
on Highway 37. Most of the graves are for members of the Murphree
family although, members of the Goode and Price families are also buried
in this cemetery. The tombston of Lillie Mae Murphree, daughter
of W.E and L.A. Murphree, is the oldest in the cemetery. Lillie
Mae Murphree died in 1904.
Old Union Cemetery also called Carson is a
lost cemetery about one-half mile north of the Emerson Dairy Farm.
The cemetery would probably be in the center of what was once the Union
Community. It is located about ten miles southwest of Mt. Vernon.
The cemetery is not fenced and is in very poor condition. No road
leads to it today. Some people call it the Carson Cemetery, but
I could find no Carson burials in this cemetery. Members of the
OíNeal, Canaday, Huffman, and Woosley families are buried in this cemetery.
There are other unmarked graves and they probably represent other families.
The earliest tombstone is that of the infant daughter of D.M. and Louisa
Huffman who died Dec. 5, 1859. The latest burial to take place
in this cemetery was probably that of Ann Huffman who died Dec.
5, 1912. Ther are five very interesting unmarked crypts in this
cemetery. No one today seems to know who is buried in these crypts.
Update: This cemetery was re-fenced and cleaned up by the Carson family a couple of years ago so it is in much better condition than when the original description was written.
Perrin Cemetery is a small lost cemetery near
the old Huckleberry Community about six miles northeast of Mt. Vernon.
Mr. and Mrs. Jim Laughton told me of this cemetery and then directed
me to it. The cemetery is in the middle of a woods and can only
be seen when nearly upon it. It is surrounded by a chain link fence,
but it is rapidly deteriorating. There are nine distinguishable
graves. The two earliest graves are those of James M. Perrin and
his wife Virginia Perrin. James Perrin was born Oct.2, 1813. Virginia
was born Jan 6, 1822. They died the same day, Nov 12, 1866.
The last burial in the cemetery was that of Ramon Perrin, son of W.
L. And Mary Perrin, who died Jan. 26, 1905.
Pierces Chapel Cemetery also called Keith
because of the many members of the Keith family buried in this cemetery.
Located about two miles northwest of the Hagansport Community , this
cemetery is the oldest in the northern part of the county. This cemetery
is uncared for and is in poor condition. Mrs Immadell Hunt of
Hagansport directed me to this and several other cemeteries of
the Hagansport area. The oldest grave with a tombstone in this cemetery
is that of Mary Walker, the daughter of L.S. and Susan Walker,
who was born Oct. 26, 1857 and died Jan 10, 1865.
Pleasant Hill Cemetery is an excellantly preserved
cemetery west of the Purley Community. There are at least 400 graves.
Captain F. Marion Hastings is buried in this cemetery and a Texas
Historical Marker designates his grave. The Pleasant Hill Cemetery
is the site of an old camp meeting ground of the Methodist Church and
at least four acres surrounding the cemetery still belong to the
Methodist Church. Burials probably started in the 1890ís although
no tomstones dating before 1900 could be found.
Prairie Academy Cemetery is a poorly kept cemetery
of some 50 graves located in the western edge of the Talco Oil
Field. The cemetery is just within the bounds of Franklin
County. It is surrounded by a chain link fence. The oldest
tombstone and only one dating before 1900 is that of Rufus Nowell who
was born Nov. 25, 1859 and died Aug. 19, 1896.
Providence Cemetery is a cemetery of over 1000
graves located about three miles south of Mt. Vernon. This cemetery
is well cared for and is enclosed with a chain-link fence. Across
the road from it is the Providence Primitive Baptist Church. The
first burials in this cemetery probably took place in the 1860ís.
The earliest tombstone in the cemetery is that of John L. Wilkerson
who died Sep. 8, 1870. John L. was the son of J.W.
and Fannie Wilkerson. The oldest tombstone of any adult buried
in Providence Cemetery is that of Nixon Davis who was born in April
1826 and died Sep 28, 1871.
Purley Cemetery located in the Purley community containing
at least 250 graves. This cemetery is in excellent condition.
The earliest grave is that of John J. Roberts who was born May 21, 1837
and died Aprril 18, 1889. Burials probably did not start in this
cemetery until the Purley Church was built nearby in the 1880ís.
Early residents in the Purley community buried their dead in the Liberty
or Pleasant Hill Cemeteries.
Rock Hill Cemetery is south of Macon about
one mile. This cemetery covers approximately 1 acre, but only
about 100 gravesites can be found today. The cemetery is
surrounded by a barbed wire fence and can be reached only by crossing
a cattle guard and following a right-of-way through a private
pasture. The cemetery is in very poor condition and probably
few burials have taken place in the last 40 years. Burials probably
started in the late 1870ís. The earliest monument is to the memory
of Willie H. Terrell who was born April 4, 1879 and died July
Rock Springs Cemetery is a small cemetery of some
50 graves located about three miles north of Winnsboro.
No tombstones dating before 1900 were found in this small well kept
cemetery. One confederate veteran is buried in this cemetery-Levi
Glover of Company F, of the Third Louisiana Cavalry. Members
of the Elliott, Henry, Berry, and Payne families are buried in this
Seventh Day Adventist Cemetery is a lost cemetery
for a group of Seventh Day Adventist Families which moved into the northern
end of the county in the 1880ís. It is beside a blacktop road
about four miles east of Highway 37 at the Lake Chapel House of
Prayer. There are seven recognizable graves marked by large stones
or wooden stakes under two ancient cedars.
Singleton Cemetery is a lost family cemetery
about two miles northeast of Hagansport. Mr. Monroe Elliott of
Hagansport directed me to this cemetery. According to Mr.
Elliott there were once about ten wooden stakes marking gravesites
in this cemetery. There have been no burials for at least 60 years.
The cemetery is on land belonging to Mr. Will Singleton.
Smith Cemetery is a lost cemetery in the woods
about one fourth mile north of the Murphree Cemetery. Although
there may have been other graves, only three are distinguishable today.
There is a double tomstone for Noah Smith and his wife Mary E
and a single tombstone for Della May, daughter of W.W. and Mollie Smith.
Mary E. Smith who died May 1891 has the earliest marked grave.
Snodgrass Cemetery also called Brannan Cemetery is a small, fenced, abandoned cemetery of the Brannan and Snodgrass
families. There are no more than 15 graves, five of which
are marked with tombstones. The earliest marked gravesite is that
of James Brannan who was born April 28, 1850 and died Feb
17, 1878. The latest burial is probably that of Margaret R. Brannan
who died Feb 4, 1932.
Wakefield Cemetery is a lost Negro cemetery about
one mile south of the Hamilton Community, northwest of Mt. Vernon.
A negro Community of perhaps ten or twelve families lived
in this area through the 1930ís. As late as 1960 several marble
tombstones identified the site of this cemetery, however, no trace of
these markers can be found today. The markers have either
been stolen or fallen down and been covered with debris. The cemetery
is called Wakefield because several members of the Russ Wakefield family
are said to be buried there. Probably members of the other families
in the community are also buried there.
Wims Cemetery is a small family cemetery of
about 25 graves. Although no road leads to this cemetery today, it is
fenced and cared for by members of the Wims family. It is in the northern
end of the county about three miles northeast of Hagansport. The
oldest tombstone is that of John Wims who was born in 1852 and died
April 12, 1865. The latest burial to take place in this cemetery was
that of Lena Wims, wife of Richard Wims, who was born Sep. 20,1862 and
died Nov. 9, 1936.
Yates Cemetery is a lost cemetery located in a grove
of trees atop a hill about three-fourths of a mile northwest of the
Big Creek Bridge on Highway 67 west of Mt. Vernon. There were possibly
ten graves although only six markers remain today. Two of
the six markers are stone and four are wooden stakes. One of the
stone markers is a marble tombstone which is inscribed to the memory
of Elizabeth Yates who was born March 23, 1850 and died July 12, 1857.